The Paragard intrauterine device (IUD) is a contraceptive that many women rely on to avoid pregnancy. These devices that doctors implant into the uterus continue to harm some women who use them, typically because the Paragard device broke when a medical professional tried to take it out.
The attorneys in our network are in the midst of preparing a lawsuit to hold the makers of Paragard accountable. The women who sustained injuries because of this device deserve to recover compensation – we want to hold the manufacturers of Paragard accountable for creating a faulty device that has injured so many. Contact us today to learn more.
Paragard Lawsuit Settlement Amounts
It is too early in the process of filing the lawsuit to determine what the Paragard settlement amounts will be. The amount that each individual receives in a settlement will likely vary based on the severity of their injuries. For instance, women who suffered injuries that will affect them for the rest of their lives will likely recover more compensation than women whose injuries healed quickly.
Our network of Paragard lawsuit lawyers can provide more information about your specific situation during a free case evaluation. This evaluation will include reviewing the circumstances of your case and determining the severity of your injuries, so we can give you a closer estimate of your potential settlement amount.
Types of Damages That Women Could Recover
The amount of compensation a woman could recover from the Paragard lawsuit depends on the types of damages they incurred. Damages are monetary compensation the court requires someone to pay for injuring another party. In this case, the court could require the manufacturers of Paragard to pay the women who sustained injuries because of their faulty product.
Damages that women could recover in a Paragard class action lawsuit include:
- Medical bills – If you had to undergo surgery or required additional treatment because of your injuries, you could recover compensation for any out-of-pocket medical expenses you had to pay.
- Fertility costs – If the IUD caused enough damage to your reproductive organs that you now need fertility treatments, you could recover these costs as well. Fertility treatments are very expensive and rarely covered under health insurance. Therefore, most fertility costs are usually paid out of pocket.
- Lost income – You might miss work while recovering from your injuries, surgery, or other treatments. You could potentially recover this lost income through a lawsuit, including lost future income if you will miss work in the future as well. The product liability attorneys in our network can help gather the necessary data to calculate the value of your projected future lost income.
- Pain and suffering – Injuries of any kind can cause severe physical pain and anguish. Although this is not a monetary loss, injured victims could receive compensation for the physical pain they had to suffer through. An attorney can provide more information on how much you might receive for pain and suffering damages.
- Emotional distress – Injuries to your reproductive organs can cause severe emotional distress. Wondering if you could have children in the future can take a toll on your mental health. You could recover compensation for the emotional turmoil your injuries have caused. Like pain and suffering damages, the personal injury attorneys in our network can help determine the value of your emotional distress damages.
The types of damages in question play a huge role in how much someone could recover through a Paragard lawsuit. If a victim has to undergo surgery, they could receive more compensation – especially if the surgery was painful or the injuries were life-altering.
The attorneys in our network can help you recover compensation for the monetary and non-monetary losses you incurred because of your injuries. We also want to hold Paragard accountable for keeping a dangerous product on the shelves, so other women can avoid getting injured by this device.
Complications with the Paragard IUD
According to Mayo Clinic, many women experience the typical side effects of using the Paragard IUD. While these side effects can cause discomfort, they are usually not dangerous. Typical side effects include:
- Bleeding between periods
- Menstrual pain
- Heavy bleeding
Severe complications can occur if the device migrates in the body, falls out, or pierces the uterine wall. Some women are at higher risk than others, such as women who have never been pregnant, have heavy or prolonged periods, have severe menstrual pain, or are younger than age 25. Complications also occur more frequently when the IUD is placed immediately after childbirth.
Some Women Experience Life-Altering Injuries
The Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation confirms that severe complications from Paragard use have caused life-altering injuries for some women. Some injuries that could result in qualifying for a class action lawsuit include:
- Organ damage
- Uterus perforation
- Internal bleeding
- Copper toxicity
- Broken IUD pieces
There are many other injuries that could qualify for a class action lawsuit. A personal injury attorney from our network can provide more information and determine if you are eligible.
Paragard IUD Uses and Risks
The Paragard IUD is used to prevent pregnancy in women of childbearing age. The device is hormone-free, 99% effective, and uses copper as the primary ingredient (the only IUD of its kind to do so). The Paragard IUD is supposed to last up to 10 years to prevent pregnancy, but there are some risks associated with its use.
The risks of using a Paragard IUD can potentially affect a woman for the rest of their life. These risks include:
- Perforation of the uterus – This occurs when the IUD punctures the uterine wall. Symptoms of a perforated uterus can include pelvic pain, lower abdominal pain, fever, severe bleeding, nausea, and vomiting.
- Expulsion – An expulsion of the IUD occurs when it falls out. The IUD may come all the way out or just partially. If it only comes out partially, a medical professional will need to remove it completely and replace it with a new IUD. When expulsion of the IUD occurs, women often experience severe cramping and heavy bleeding.
- Infection – When the IUD causes an infection, it could reach the uterus and leave scar tissue, potentially leading to fertility issues in the future. Symptoms of infection related to an IUD can include abdominal pain, pain during sex, pain during urination, and fever.
The Brain Injury Linked to the Paragard IUD
The National Library of Medicine shared data from a 2015 study conducted to find the effects of intrauterine devices (such as the Paragard IUD) on the increased risk of intracranial hypertension. Intracranial hypertension occurs when there is high pressure and excess fluid around the brain. Symptoms can include headaches, tinnitus, temporary or permanent blindness, double vision, side vision loss, and pain in the neck or shoulders.
Even if your symptoms have improved, they can reoccur down the road. Treatments for intracranial hypertension include:
- Taking out the IUD
- Taking medication to remove the excess fluid around the brain
- Using lumbar punctures to remove the excess fluid from the brain
- Taking steroids to reduce headaches and vision loss
In more severe cases, women who develop this condition might have to undergo surgery, such as a shunt surgery or optic nerve sheath fenestration. A shunt surgery is when a thin tube is inserted into a fluid-filled space to move the fluid to another part of the body. During an optic nerve sheath fenestration, the surgeon opens the optic nerve to relieve pressure and allow the fluid to drain.
Frequently Asked Questions About Paragard Class Action Lawsuits
There are many questions surrounding Paragard lawsuits. However, we do hear some questions more than others, such as:
- Is there a Paragard class action lawsuit?
- Is there a Paragard IUD recall?
We’ll explore the answers to these questions below. The attorneys from our network can also answer your questions during a free case evaluation, where we can provide you with more information specific to your situation.
Is There a Paragard Class Action Lawsuit?
As of now, there is no active class action against Paragard manufacturers for the faulty design of their IUD. The attorneys in our network are currently filing lawsuits on behalf of women who sustained injuries from using the device. Any woman who had their health compromised because of the Paragard IUD can contact us to sue the makers of the device. This includes:
- Any woman prescribed the Paragard IUD as a form of birth control
- If the device broke during removal
- If the device became lodged or embedded elsewhere in the body
- If using the device led to invasive surgery or other forms of treatment
If you sustained an injury because of this device, the attorneys in our network could help you follow the steps to hold Paragard accountable for injuring women.
Is There a Paragard IUD Recall?
To date, there is no active recall for the Paragard IUD. The product is still on the market and readily available to use. In April 2021, a batch of the IUDs had a recall due to a lack of sterility. However, neither Paragard manufacturers nor the FDA has recalled them as a whole, despite knowing the potential risks of breakage and other health-threatening issues.
Understanding Paragard Lawsuits: Class Action Lawsuits vs. Multidistrict Litigation
Both class action lawsuits and multidistrict litigation (MDL) are legal mechanisms designed to create a resolution to legal issues. Both of these types of lawsuits can help numerous victims at the same time – namely by combining the interests of many individuals into one lawsuit, as opposed to requiring separate lawsuits for each.
In a class action lawsuit, one or two individuals represent a large group of people. When the parties reach a settlement or the court orders someone to pay, the money is split among everyone in the class action lawsuit. A MDL also involves a group of distinct individuals, yet they are part of a larger group. In MDL cases, each individual must provide information about their own losses and how they have impacted their life.
Contact Us Today About the Paragard Class Action Lawsuit
If you sustained an injury because of the Paragard IUD, contact us to speak with a product liability attorney in our network as soon as possible. We are working tirelessly to hold Paragard accountable for knowing the risks of their product but not adequately warning users or conducting a voluntary recall.
The mass tort attorneys in our network can explain your legal options during a free case evaluation. By the time your evaluation is finished, you should know what a class action lawsuit is and how we can help you fight for the compensation you deserve. We are ready to help you move forward with your Paragard IUD case, so you can get the best possible results. To learn more and get started, connect with us today.